In the heart of commercial Fort District stands St Thomas' Cathedral. Work on the chruch commenced under Gerald Aungier, Governor of Mumbai, in 1672 and the church was opened to the public in 1718. Though essentially simple in structure, the interior of the church has some exquisite stained-glass windows.
The most prominent feature is the church's tall steeple that was, till the mid 19th century, clearly visible to travellers arriving into Mumbai by the steamship route.A fountain designed by Gilbert Scott stands in the courtyard. Its tower and garden continue to form a significant landmark of the city.