Location : Old Goa, Panjim, Goa
: Doric Architecture
St. Xavier's Mausoleum
To the south of the St. Francis Xavier church on the right lies a lavishly and gracefully decked out chapel and tomb of St. Francis Xavier. Following the Canonization of St. Francis Xavier, the Jesuits decided to shift his body to the Basilica from the College of St. Paul. The body of the saint was moved with great fanfare and ceremonies in 1624 to the Chapel in the Basilica on the north side. It was moved to its present site in 1655. The Chapel is entered by three doors, looking to the east, west and South respectively. The interior of the chapel is richly gilded and embellished with twenty seven pictures choice pictures representing the life and the miracles of the saint.
The mausoleum is a three tiered catafalque structure that was financed by the Duke of Tuscany (1670-1737) in return for the pillow on which the head of St. Francis Xavier rested for many years after his death. The famed Florentine sculptor Giovanni Batista Foggini designed and executed the structure ( taking about ten years to do that) and it was consecrated in 1698.The tomb is constructed of rich marble of variegated colors. The mausoleum packed in 65 cases arrived at Goa on September 16 1698 from Florence, Italy. It was erected between October 14th to November 9th 1698.
The first or lowest stage is of jasper. Its bottom is of reddish and purple colors marked with white stripes and the borders are of white stone with yellow stripes. This is sculpted with figures of eight large cherubs. This stage is 4 1/3 feet high, 19 1/10 feet long and 9 2/3 feet broad and resembles an urn.
The third and the highest stage is exquisite. It is 9 2/5 feet long and 3 2/3 feet broad and 2 1/5 feet high. It is surrounded by a beautiful railing of red jasper marked with white spots. It is adorned with pretty figures of angels, and its middle portion is graced with columns carved and standing at equal intervals. The intervening spaces are surmounted with arches and have several incidents in the life of the saint represented on them. On the top of this stage lies the Silver casket in which the relics of the saint are deposited.
Chapel of St. Xavier
In the area of the now extinct college of St. Paul at Old Goa, stands the small traditional chapel of St. Francis Xavier. Some say it was built by the Saint himself and he conducted his mass there, passing hours in meditation, others presume it was built after his death. It is even opined that it is one of the two Chapels of the garden of St. Paul's College, dedicated respectively to St. Anthony and St. Jerome. The dedication may have been changed in commemoration to the pious exclamations of the saint Satis est Domine, Satisest.
Check these out also
Weekdays : 07:00 to 08:00 hrs.
Sundays : 08:00 to 09:15 hrs.