Established by a French Missionary, Abbe Dubois in 1811, this is the only church to be elevated to the status of a minor Basilica. In September, every year, the feast of Virgin Mary is celebrated and attracts people of all faiths.
The Syrian Orthodox Christian community of Kerala started migrating to Bangalore and the surrounding places in the early 1930's. The early Jacobite Christians, who did not have a worship center of their own, joined a common prayer group. There after Holy Qurbono was offered in the churches belonging to sister congregations until the late 1970's. The tireless effort of the congregation under the leadership of the then vicar Fr. M.K. Thomas (now H.G. Mor Themotheos Thomas) realized this dream in the form of St. Mary's Church, Bangalore.
The new church was consecrated by the Catholicos of the East H.B. Baselios Paulose II, of blessed memory. A period of religious, cultural and economic growth followed. As years passed by, the congregation grew and spread to the suburbs of Bangalore. As a result, churches were established at Mathikere and Krishnarajapuram.
The present church building comprises of the church, parsonage, Bishop's suite, a Public School and an Opportunity school. The church has also started a Mission center at Anagalapura village, about 20 kms from the city.
Holy Qurbono is offered on all Sundays and moronoyo festivals. Various spiritual organizations like the Sunday school, Martha Mariam Vanitha Samajam (Women's Association) and Youth league are very active in the church.
St. Mary's Public School
The school was started in 1983 and has classes from Std I to X (ICSE). Today the school has more than 800students enrolled and has maintained 100% success in the public examinations.
Anagalpura Mission Center
The church started mission work at Anagalpura village situated in the outskirts of Bangalore. Under the guidance of our Diocesan Bishop H.G. Mar Themotheos Thomas and with the help of some well wishers of the church, we could aquire more than 2 acres of land and started a center to co-ordinate the mission activities. After witnessing the dedicated services of our community, one of the villages has come forward and donated 1.25 acres of land to extend our work for the glory of the Lord.
This village is surrounded by five villages with about 5000 families, the majority of which are Hindus by faith. The illiterate poor and under employed people lack basic necessities like School, Medical Facilities, Transportation and even a Post Office.
For the service of these under privileged the Mission has a Mission center, Chapel, St George Primary School, Vocational Training courses and Medical Help.
The efforts mentioned above serve our mission to witness the Lord. We appeal to our brethren to join us in our mission in many ways such as:
Praying for this mission work.
Sponsoring educational expenses of children (approx. Rs. 1500 or $30 per year for a child).
Sponsoring vocational training expenses of youth (approx. Rs. 1000 per year for each
Supporting the purchase of a sewing machine (approx. Rs. 2000).
Supporting health care activities, particularly to acquire an Ambulance
and open a Medical
Cheques or DD should be drawn in favour of "Mission Center, Anagalapura". For more details
From City Bus Stand take Bus No. 290 to 303 and disembark at CSI bus stop.
Holy Qurbono First Service: Sunday 7:00 am
Second Service: Sunday 8:15 am
Evening Prayer : Saturday 6:00 pm
Fasting Prayer : Friday 10:00 am