The Kanpur Memorial Church built in 1875, was designed by Walter Granville. This Gothic style building has fine stained glass windows and interesting memorials. There is a Memorial Garden on the eastern side.
There is a carved gothic screen, designed by Henry Yule and in the center there is a beautifully carved figure of an angel by Baron Carlo Marochetti, representing the 'symbol of peace'. The Cemetery has a number of graves from the late 19th century.
The interiors of the church are adorned with the monuments to the mutiny, including several memorial tablets. In the separate enclosure to the east of the church is the Memorial Garden, approached through two gateways.
Here the handsome carved gothic screen, designed by Henry Yule, stands. Its centre is occupied by the beautiful carved figure of an angle by Baron Carlo Marochetti, with crossed arms, holding palons, symbol of peace.
Originally the statue and the screen stood in the Municipal Gardens in the centre of the city, over the site of the Bibighar well. The memorials were relocated here after independence in 1948.
The Military Cemetery on the edge of the cantonment contains a number of interesting graves from the late 19th century.
A favorite centre of activities of stalwarts like Nanarao Peshwa, Tantiya Tope, Sardar Bhagat Signh and Chandrashekhar Azad among others, Kanpur is also the birth place of Shyamlal Gupta 'Parshad', composer of the famous patriotic dittsy 'Vijayee Great Hindi leterateurs like Acharya Mahavir Parasad Dwivedi, Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, Pratap Narain Mishra, Acharya Gaya Prasad Shukla 'Sanehi' and Balkrishna Sharma 'Navin'
having hailed from here.