Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala Dedicated To
Raja Marthanda Varma Renovated In
1733 AD Sree AnanthaPadmanabha Swamy Temple, the temple devoted to Lord Vishnu, is an awe-inspiring composition that has 100 feet high 'gopuram', built in Dravidian style.
City's historical landmark, the structure of the main building is a mix together of the Kerala and Dravidian styles of architecture.
The temple, known for the Mural paintings and stone carvings is one among the 108 temples devoted to Vishnu in India. A magnificent array of gods, goddesses, nymphs, sprites and demons adorn the seven-storey 'gopuram' that forms the temple tower.
Lord Vishnu, the presiding deity, reclines in the posture of 'Ananthashayanam' on the coiled serpent 'Anantha'. The temple is a proud specimen of South Indian and Dravidian architectural styles.
Renovated in 1733 AD by the then ruler of Travancore, Raja Marthanda Varma, this holy shrine attracts thousands of Hindu devotees. There are innumerable pillars, intricate carvings and Mural paintings.
Outside the temple courtyard, there is a medley of shops that sell souvenirs, handicrafts, woodcarvings and handiwork of sandal. One can witness the craftsmen do their work right from carving the wood to polishing.
In the October/November months of every year, there is held the Navarathri fair of musical concerts at the Navarathri Mandapam, closest to the main building of the temple. Only Hindus are allowed inside and dress regulations are firmly followed.